Friday, April 07, 2006

No Cellphone for A Day

“I left my cellphone at home!”

After a thorough combing through of my huge bag where a PDA, a coin purse, a wallet, a make up kit and other knick knacks jostled for space, I came to this realization.

Then came a slight tightening of the chest, a slight shortness of breath, slight blurring of vision, and a slight trembling of hands.

Overreacting? Well, I DID say "slight!”

This wasn’t the first time. But the reaction had not changed (improved?). That sick helpless feeling still trickled down my spine and set my teeth on edge.

“What if there’s an emergency?”
“What if it’s a one-of-a-kind call that shouldn’t be missed?”
‘What if….?”

I realized this right before the workshop I was attending started. So for the first 15 minutes, I stared at the facilitator, his mouth was moving and in my mind’s eye, it seemed like he was saying, “You have a dozen missed calls and a gazillion text messages!!!! Read them! Accept the calls!! Now!!” Aarrrgghh!!

It took a while before I could re-attach my soul to my physical body and really BE at the workshop and not miles away, in my house, beside my bed, where my lonely cellphone is dying for my touch.

To make a long story short, I survived the day. Got home and read four (!) not-so-earth-shaking messages and zero missed calls.

No ego trip here, since my ego just tripped…and fell flat on its face. Hah! As if people’s lives would fall apart just because I can’t reply to their text messages A.S.A.P.! Who's important now?

Anyway, thank God, we don’t need cellphones to get to Him and thank God no human is put in charge of holding the world together in the first place.

Today’s forgetfulness did my soul some good.

No comments: