Tuesday, April 18, 2006

Addictions

Bejewelled.
Soduku.
Spider Solitaire.
Coffee.
Coke Light.
TV.
Email.

What do they have in common?

They are my addictions.

With any of the aforementioned games, I have to be mindful of the time spent on them or else I would use up half my waking moments playing, while downing Coke Light or sipping hot coffee. And if I am not careful, the other half of my waking moments would be spent watching TV or doing email, while downing Coke Light or sipping hot coffee.

On the bright side of things, I could be addicted to MORE stuff!

And I thank God I don’t have a TV—so coach potato-ing has become more of an incidental addiction.

Why is it so much easier to be addicted to “bad’ stuff rather than good ones?

Instead of being addicted to chocolates, why can’t we be addicted to vegetables?

Instead of being addicted to watching movies, why can’t we be addicted to helping the poor?

Instead of being addicted to on line games, why cant we be addicted to teaching kids at Sunday School?

Instead of being addicted to gossip, why can’t we be addicted to saying the nicest things to the most unlovable cad?

Wouldn’t this kind of addiction make the world a better, healthier place?

Well, at least, I have one newly-acquired “almost-but-not-quite” addiction that I certainly hope will end up to be a positive one: blogging.

And by the way, I have given up Coke Light…I have switched to Pepsi Max and had just triumphantly tore myself away from playing Bejewelled for 15 minutes.

No comments: